Response to Circulating Email: Arrogance of Being President While Being Black.

(Read original email below.)

Dear Fellow Americans, this mail is in response to an email titled Arrogance of being President while being Black. I am an African American woman. I am also the daughter of Rev. A. D. King (www.adkingfoundation.com). I also am a part of what the Arrogance e-mail refers to as the Neanderthal “Far Right.” By the way, I do not feel as though I am about to vomit when I say Mr. President or President Obama. He is the President. As a free and independent thinker, I am very glad that America is still a land where we can vote as we feel led. I do agree that the office of the President is due respect. I call Mr. Obama President Obama always. Period. Even in my prayers. While I do not generally agree with many of his policy decisions, especially in areas of the civil rights of babies in the womb for instance, I love him and his family, and pray for them often, just as I would for Herman Cain if he was elected as President. It’s not the color of his skin but the content of his character and policies that I’m concerned about. You are right, he is the President of the United States. Romans Chapter 13 teaches us that all governmental authority is ordained of God. No President or elected official can rise to be elected to office if God does not allow it. We are also taught in the Bible to pray for those in authority so that we can live peaceful lives. America has been under the hand of God’s judgment for at least two Presidential administrations. That is the administration of President George W. Bush and now President Barack Hussein Obama. What are we going to do about it? Interestingly enough, many African Americans have hated President Bush, yet become very offended when people challenge the policies of President Obama. Some even dare to suggest that God loves President Obama more than he loves President Bush, or that God hates President Bush, or vice versa. Ladies and gentlemen, I dare to suggest that God loves us all very much, including our President. Let us trust God rather than human flesh. I invite you to visit this website: http://www.priestsforlife.org/africanamerican/life-liberty-family.pdf

ORIGINAL EMAIL:

Arrogance of being President while being Black

I don’t think anyone was under some real illusion that the election of Barack Obama actually means the end of racism in America . I’m pretty sure that the president-elect knew it better than anyone. After all, he saw it every day, from the moment he announced his candidacy. To some degree, he saw it within his own party during the primaries. And he saw it in all ugliness during the general election. For half of this country, he was “That One”. No matter how big and clear his victory was. No matter how smart he is. No matter how decent he is. No matter what a true patriot he is. No matter how optimistic and positive his vision for America was. All that didn’t matter. Because at the end of the day, he was still black.

I’m quite old. I remember, vaguely, where my parents were on November 22, 1963. I’ve seen so many presidents. Some were feared, some were hated, some were adored, some popular and some not. But all of them, without exception, were treated with the highest respect deserving the office of the president of the United States .

That is until a black man won the right to occupy this office. It’s been 13 months now, and in the eyes of so many, Barack Obama is still that one. He is being disrespected and at the same time being held to the highest standard of any president I’ve ever seen – and not just by the Republican side! He has to perform three times better than any president in history, and even that may not be enough.

For the media, he is many more times just “Obama” than “President Obama”. They create scandals out of nothing issues. It took them at least 6 years to start giving Bush a small part of the crap he deserved. It took them 6 months to begin crap all over Obama because he’s yet to fix the catastrophe that was left for him.

They use condescending tones when they talk about him, and only mildly less condescending when they talk TO him. With anyone else, CNN wouldn’t dare go to commercials every time the president speaks, like they did during that summit on Thursday. They wouldn’t dare be counting how many minutes George Bush or Bill Clinton were talking. Chris Mathews wouldn’t dare make an issue out of Ronald Regan calling members of congress by their first name, like he is not actually the president. They fully cooperate with the Right-Wing smear machine when it comes to president Obama’s national security performance – even if almost every independent and military expert actually thinks that he’s a terrific Commander-in-Chief. You’ll never see them on TV, and virtually no one from the Left, in congress and outside, defend the president on this matter.

I don’t care about the Far-Right. They’re just crazy ignorant Neanderthals. It’s the way the beltway and the mainstream treats this president that is shocking. On Thursday, almost every Republican had no trouble interrupting him in the middle of a sentence. They looked like they’re going to vomit every time they had to say “Mr. president”. They all had this Eric-Cantor-Smirk whenever he spoke. Then they went out and started to spit their stupid talking points, to the delight of the media. Sarah Palin, a woman who can hardly read, thinks that he was “arrogant” towards John McCain, and somehow this is an important news. Because you see, “Obama’s Arrogance” is the talking point of the day.

Oh, those talking points. He is arrogant (because he knows the facts better than all of them combined). He is an elitist (because he uses big words that they don’t understand). He is weak on national security (because he actually thinks about the consequences). He divides the country (well, he did that the day he had the audacity to win the election). Worst of all, he actually thinks that he’s the president. He even dared to say so on Thursday. How arrogant of him. You’d think that previous presidents didn’t have any ego. Somehow it turned out that the one president who treats even his biggest opponents with the utmost respect – is the arrogant one. I wonder why?

I expected that his winning the Presidency would bring out some ugliness, but it’s been far worse than I imagined. The racism coming from the Right is obviously clear and shameless, but there’s also some hidden and maybe subconscious and disturbing underline tone behind some of the things that I read here and throughout the Left blogosphere, even before the end of Obama’s first year – ‘He’s weak, he’s spineless, he’s got no balls, primary him in 2012′. It’ll be dishonest to deny that.

The fact is that for millions in America, Barack Obama is this uppity black man (Not even a “real” black), who received good education only due to affirmative action, and has no right to litter the sacred Oval Office with his skin color. They just can’t accept the fact that the president is a black man, who unlike his predecessor, was actually legally elected. But what’s really sad is that it’s not just the fringe, its deep deep in mainstream America .

Barack Obama’s ability to remain above all this slob, to keep his optimism and his strange and mostly unjustified faith in people, while continuing to gracefully deal with an endless crapstorm – is one of the most inspiring displays of human quality I have ever seen. And I can only hope that the Cosmos is on his side because God is and He never makes a mistake.

Sometimes, they make me feel ashamed to be a white man!!

9 Responses to “Response to Circulating Email: Arrogance of Being President While Being Black.”

1. Diane Hankins says:

I feel exactly the way this white man feels in reference to ” Arrogance of Being President While Being Black”! I am a 66 year old white woman who grew up in Detroit. Forty-five years ago, I had the audacity to marry a Black Man from Oklahoma City. We were both in the military at the time. We experienced racism but were in love and could care less about what others thought. We are still happily married with grown children and grand-children. Sometimes, I too, feel ashamed to be of the white race.

2. Al Renteria says:

Ms. King lost me when she began talking about prayers and god’s judgment.

3. Janet says:

REALLY?! ! Blacks who say their “on the right” like Michael Steele should understand that they are ponds and tokens. They are being used to confuse and distort. They will NEVER BE in the true “INNER CIRCLE” with white right wing hypocrites. Please!

4. KSmith says:

Ms. King,
    I apologize for my lack of knowledge in your response to “Arrogance of being President while being Black”, but [I] fail to see your point.
    Again, I apologize but I honestly gave your comments a LOT of consideration before giving up. (I even went as far as reading the suggested Biblical verse in several translated versions; King James Version and New International Version etc.)

5. KSmith says:

Janet,
    YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! However, it’s REALLY sad they don’t know they’re being used.

6. Robin Revere says:

Ms. King; Thank you for your thoughtful words. They brought me back to God’s purpose and will in this world. It is so difficult as a human to remember everything is God’s will. Including the selection of a president and the events that take place in our world today.

I agree with you that 50 million babies murdered as a genocide is unbelievably unconscionable. I believe if you describe that amount of babies taken from this earth as an entire generation of human beings who would have been contributing citizens of our society maybe your readers might understand a little more. 50 million people are gone from the face of the earth. A planned and calculated decision which if continued will eliminate our citizenry.

God Bless you for your efforts in trying to sway the stubborness of the human mind. Hearts have not be touched yet. God’s Blessings

7. Kclaverie says:

I just would like to say that I really like President Obama. So, I pray that he will CONTINUE to be successful. I don’t care for the mixing of politics with spiritual things although God gave human kind the laws of the land. The president has a very hard job and GREAT intensions and I do feel that he is very knowledgable. Also as an African American president, it is important that we of the same race should support him because it is a great acheivement for us all. Not trying to be a divided nation, but this is the one thing worth if anything sticking together for. We should stop allowing the behavior of others to rub off on us and try to be a light and stick together. God Bless President Obama!

8. Dr Davis says:

President Obama I truly was hoping he would be what he claimed to be but he has let us down. He has lied to us, and now wants to be able to lie about what they are hiding from us. Transparency is NONE in this WH as he claimed it would be. I love him as I do all people and I also pray for our leaders.
    You should support the person who will do the best for the country not vote for a persons color. Like I said I was hoping for the best and he let us down. He is a puppet of the man named George Soros. This is a fact like it or not. Now saying this please read the following and hope some people will wake up to what has really gone on in our great country.

Something ALL AMERICANS should read and study. THESE ARE THE HARD FACTS no place to run to here and hide. I tried telling people this for years but no one wanted to hear it… This tells lots of shocking things, but not all them. But it is a start of the real truth.

Democratic Party: Birth of Racism in America
    Written on September 1, 2011 by Ann-Marie Murrell

With all the rhetoric from people like Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters—and even Nancy Pelosi—claiming everyone in the Tea Party is a racist, I think it’s time we examine the true beginnings of racism in America.

Like most people, I was raised to believe that all racist-type problems originated from the Republican Party.

WRONG—and I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t realize just how thoroughly wrong I was until last year when I watched a video by PJTV’s AlfonZo Rachel called “Examining Black Loyalty to Democrats”.
    I watched it early one morning and after it was over I woke up my husband and made him watch it with me. He was just as shocked as I was at the disinformation we’d been fed all our lives.

“The Democrat Party has been the pro-slavery party, the pro-segregation party, the anti-civil rights party but the majority of the black community votes democrat,” Alfonzo says. “The Ku Klux Klan was the terrorist fraternity founded by the Democrat Party & their message was simple: vote or die. And when you vote, make sure it’s Democrat.”

Maybe in 2011, after originally being threatened to “vote Democrat or die”, African-Americans are perpetuating their Democratic tradition more out of habit than logic.

“Thank you for posting the civil rights record of Republicans; a record the Democrats can’t touch. I hope every Republican who sees it and copies it for their records to remind Democrats what the real deal is.”

Every Republican and Democrat needs a reminder of who’s who in America—especially in light of the constant stream of racist accusations coming out of the White House.

So below are the Civil Rights records of the Republican and Democratic Parties, starting with 1858 and ending with 1996. And at the bottom of the page is AlfonZo Rachel’s video, “Examining Black Loyalty to Democrats”. Please watch it and discuss it with your entire family and share it with your friends.

I’m hearing chatter that this is going to be a very race card-driven election, already the Democrats are calling Tea Party people a lynch mob which is also made up of hundreds of black Americans, so the best way we can combat their accusations is to arm ourselves with all the facts. We all need to know who we really are—and who they really are as well.

October 13, 1858
    During Lincoln-Douglas debates, U.S. Senator Stephen Douglas (D-IL) states: “I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever”; Douglas became Democratic Party’s 1860 presidential nominee

April 16, 1862
    Republican President Lincoln signs bill abolishing slavery in District of Columbia; in Congress, 99% of Republicans vote yes, 83% of Democrats vote no

July 17, 1862
    Over unanimous Democrat opposition, Republican Congress passes Confiscation Act stating that slaves of the Confederacy “shall be forever free”

January 31, 1865
    13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. House with unanimous Republican support, intense Democrat opposition

April 8, 1865
    13th Amendment banning slavery passed by U.S. Senate with 100% Republican support, 63% Democrat opposition

November 22, 1865
    Republicans denounce Democrat legislature of Mississippi for enacting “black codes,” which institutionalized racial discrimination

February 5, 1866
    U.S. Rep. Thaddeus Stevens (R-PA) introduces legislation, successfully opposed by Democrat President Andrew Johnson, to implement “40 acres and a mule” relief by distributing land to former slaves

April 9, 1866
    Republican Congress overrides Democrat President Johnson’s veto; Civil Rights Act of 1866, conferring rights of citizenship on African-Americans, becomes law .

May 10, 1866
    U.S. House passes Republicans’ 14th Amendment guaranteeing due process and equal protection of the laws to all citizens; 100% of Democrats vote no

June 8, 1866
    U.S. Senate passes Republicans’ 14th Amendment guaranteeing due process and equal protection of the law to all citizens; 94% of Republicans vote yes and 100% of Democrats vote no

January 8, 1867
    Republicans override Democrat President Andrew Johnson’s veto of law granting voting rights to African-Americans in D.C.

July 19, 1867
    Republican Congress overrides Democrat President Andrew Johnson’s veto of legislation protecting voting rights of African-Americans

March 30, 1868
    Republicans begin impeachment trial of Democrat President Andrew Johnson, who declared: “This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government of white men”

September 12, 1868
    Civil rights activist Tunis Campbell and 24 other African-Americans in Georgia Senate, each one a Republican, expelled by Democrat majority; would later be reinstated by Republican Congress

October 7, 1868
    Republicans denounce Democratic Party’s national campaign theme: “This is a white man’s country: Let white men rule”

October 22, 1868
    While campaigning for re-election, Republican U.S. Rep. James Hinds (R-AR) is assassinated by Democrat terrorists who organized as the Ku Klux Klan

December 10, 1869
    Republican Gov. John Campbell of Wyoming Territory signs FIRST-in-nation law granting women right to vote and to hold public office

February 3, 1870
    After passing House with 98% Republican support and 97% Democrat opposition, Republicans’ 15th Amendment is ratified, granting vote to all Americans regardless of race

May 31, 1870
    President U.S. Grant signs Republicans’ Enforcement Act, providing stiff penalties for depriving any American’s civil rights

June 22, 1870
    Republican Congress creates U.S. Department of Justice, to safeguard the civil rights of African-Americans against Democrats in the South

September 6, 1870
    Women vote in Wyoming, in FIRST election after women’s suffrage signed into law by Republican Gov. John Campbell

February 28, 1871
    Republican Congress passes Enforcement Act providing federal protection for African-American voters

April 20, 1871
    Republican Congress enacts the Ku Klux Klan Act, outlawing Democratic Party-affiliated terrorist groups which oppressed African-Americans

October 10, 1871
    Following warnings by Philadelphia Democrats against black voting, African-American Republican civil rights activist Octavius Catto murdered by Democratic Party operative; his military funeral was attended by thousands

October 18, 1871
    After violence against Republicans in South Carolina, President Ulysses Grant deploys U.S. troops to combat Democrat terrorists who formed the Ku Klux Klan

November 18, 1872
    Susan B. Anthony arrested for voting, after boasting to Elizabeth Cady Stanton that she voted for “the Republican ticket, straight”

January 17, 1874
    Armed Democrats seize Texas state government, ending Republican efforts to racially integrate government

September 14, 1874
    Democrat white supremacists seize Louisiana statehouse in attempt to overthrow racially-integrated administration of Republican Governor William Kellogg; 27 killed

March 1, 1875
    Civil Rights Act of 1875, guaranteeing access to public accommodations without regard to race, signed by Republican President U.S. Grant; passed with 92% Republican support over 100% Democrat opposition

January 10, 1878
    U.S. Senator Aaron Sargent (R-CA) introduces Susan B. Anthony amendment for women’s suffrage; Democrat-controlled Senate defeated it 4 times before election of Republican House and Senate guaranteed its approval in 1919. Republicans foil Democratic efforts to keep women in the kitchen, where they belong

February 8, 1894
    Democrat Congress and Democrat President Grover Cleveland join to repeal Republicans’ Enforcement Act, which had enabled African-Americans to vote

January 15, 1901
    Republican Booker T. Washington protests Alabama Democratic Party’s refusal to permit voting by African-Americans

May 29, 1902
    Virginia Democrats implement new state constitution, condemned by Republicans as illegal, reducing African-American voter registration by 86%

February 12, 1909
    On 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth, African-American Republicans and women’s suffragists Ida Wells and Mary Terrell co-found the NAACP

May 21, 1919
    Republican House passes constitutional amendment granting women the vote with 85% of Republicans in favor, but only 54% of Democrats; in Senate, 80% of Republicans would vote yes, but almost half of Democrats no August 18, 1920
    Republican-authored 19th Amendment, giving women the vote, becomes part of Constitution; 26 of the 36 states to ratify had Republican-controlled legislatures

January 26, 1922
    House passes bill authored by U.S. Rep. Leonidas Dyer (R-MO) making lynching a federal crime; Senate Democrats block it with filibuster

June 2, 1924
    Republican President Calvin Coolidge signs bill passed by Republican Congress granting U.S. citizenship to all Native Americans

October 3, 1924
    Republicans denounce three-time Democrat presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan for defending the Ku Klux Klan at 1924 Democratic National Convention

June 12, 1929
    First Lady Lou Hoover invites wife of U.S. Rep. Oscar De Priest (R-IL), an African-American, to tea at the White House, sparking protests by Democrats across the country

August 17, 1937
    Republicans organize opposition to former Ku Klux Klansman and Democrat U.S. Senator Hugo Black, appointed to U.S. Supreme Court by FDR; his Klan background was hidden until after confirmation

June 24, 1940
    Republican Party platform calls for integration of the armed forces; for the balance of his terms in office, FDR refuses to order it

August 8, 1945
    Republicans condemn Harry Truman’s surprise use of the atomic bomb in Japan. The whining and criticism goes on for years. It begins two days after the Hiroshima bombing, when former Republican President Herbert Hoover writes to a friend that “The use of the atomic bomb, with its indiscriminate killing of women and children, revolts my soul.”

September 30, 1953
    Earl Warren, California’s three-term Republican Governor and 1948 Republican vice presidential nominee, nominated to be Chief Justice; wrote landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education

November 25, 1955
    Eisenhower administration bans racial segregation of interstate bus travel

March 12, 1956
    Ninety-seven Democrats in Congress condemn Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education, and pledge to continue segregation

June 5, 1956
    Republican federal judge Frank Johnson rules in favor of Rosa Parks in decision striking down “blacks in the back of the bus” law

November 6, 1956
    African-American civil rights leaders Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy vote for Republican Dwight Eisenhower for President

September 9, 1957
    President Dwight Eisenhower signs Republican Party’s 1957 Civil Rights Act

September 24, 1957
    Sparking criticism from Democrats such as Senators John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, Republican President Dwight Eisenhower deploys the 82nd Airborne Division to Little Rock, AR to force Democrat Governor Orval Faubus to integrate public schools

May 6, 1960
    Republican President Dwight Eisenhower signs Republicans’ Civil Rights Act of 1960, overcoming 125-hour, around-the-clock filibuster by 18 Senate Democrats

May 2, 1963
    Republicans condemn Democrat sheriff of Birmingham, AL for arresting over 2,000 African-American schoolchildren marching for their civil rights

September 29, 1963
    Gov. George Wallace (D-AL) defies order by U.S. District Judge Frank Johnson, appointed by President Dwight Eisenhower, to integrate Tuskegee High School

June 9, 1964
    Republicans condemn 14-hour filibuster against 1964 Civil Rights Act led by U.S. Senator and former Ku Klux Klansman Robert Byrd (D-WV), who served in the Senate until his death in 2010. At Byrd’s funeral, former Democrat President Bill Clinton said, “He once had a fleeting association with the Ku Klux Klan, what does that mean? I’ll tell you what it means. He was a country boy from the hills and hollows from West Virginia. He was trying to get elected. And maybe he did something he shouldn’t have done come and he spent the rest of his life making it up. And that’s what a good person does. There are no perfect people. There are certainly no perfect politicians.”

June 10, 1964
    Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen (R-IL) criticizes Democrat filibuster against 1964 Civil Rights Act, calls on Democrats to stop opposing racial equality. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was introduced and approved by a staggering majority of Republicans in the Senate. The Act was opposed by most southern Democrat senators, several of whom were proud segregationists—one of them being Al Gore Sr. Democrat President Lyndon B. Johnson relied on Illinois Senator Everett Dirksen, the Republican leader from Illinois, to get the Act passed.

August 4, 1965
    Senate Republican Leader Everett Dirksen (R-IL) overcomes Democrat attempts to block 1965 Voting Rights Act; 94% of Senate Republicans vote for landmark civil right legislation, while 27% of Democrats oppose. Voting Rights Act of 1965, abolishing literacy tests and other measures devised by Democrats to prevent African-Americans from voting, signed into law; higher percentage of Republicans than Democrats vote in favor

February 19, 1976
    Republican President Gerald Ford formally rescinds Democrat President Franklin Roosevelt’s notorious Executive Order authorizing internment of over 120,000 Japanese-Americans during WWII

September 15, 1981
    Republican President Ronald Reagan establishes the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities, to increase African-American participation in federal education programs

June 29, 1982
    Republican President Ronald Reagan signs 25-year extension of 1965 Voting Rights Act

August 10, 1988
    Republican President Ronald Reagan signs Civil Liberties Act of 1988, compensating Japanese-Americans for deprivation of civil rights and property during World War II internment ordered by FDR

November 21, 1991
    Republican President George H. W. Bush signs Civil Rights Act of 1991 to strengthen federal civil rights legislation

August 20, 1996
    Bill authored by U.S. Rep. Susan Molinari (R-NY) to prohibit racial discrimination in adoptions, part of Republicans’ Contract With America, becomes law

And let’s not forget the words of liberal icon Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood and someone Hillary Clinton has said is one of her heroes. Sanger said, “We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population….”

Alfonzo Rachel’s video, “Examining Black Loyalty to Democrats”: Go to Your Tube and look this up. You will be shocked

9. LydiaMay says:

This is the biggest piece of garbage I have read. IT IS THOSE WHO FOCUS ON HIS BLACK SIDE THAT ARE RACIST! We are human beings first, race, color, and gender should not be an issue, but since they are making it one, why do you fail to mention his white side? How do YOU feel about that? I am sick of all these lies people use because someone does not like someone else policies. More hate and division are caused by the people who write biased articles like this. Look at the nasty reference to Palin, but I guess that is OK. As far as respect goes, too many people use that as a front to let bad behavior go unchecked. We all normally treat each other with respect, but in many instances, respect needs to be earned. Our Constitution is not being respected, nor many rights of individuals. We are letting the powers that be use anything they can to divide us as citizens from coming together to stop the criminal behavior on both political party sides, whether white or black, male or female. Please, let’s forget all the tactics they use and start to unite. Starting with putting God as Supreme over this land and our hearts and minds. If we disagree on spiritual issues, let us learn to say “Perhaps” an extend grace to one another, because ultimately, it is God Who will deal with us for only He knows our hearts.