Washington, DC – Fr. Frank Pavone, National Director of Priests for Life, today responded to the letter from several dozen leaders of women’s religious congregations who expressed support for the Senate health care bill.
“First of all, contrary to its claim, this statement does not represent 59,000 nuns; it represents the approximately 59 nuns who signed it. Secondly, while the bishops’ analysis of the health care bill relies on the expertise of legal analysts, it is not clear what expert analysis these signers have relied on. Third, it is absurd to advocate social justice while risking the expansion of a holocaust. The right to life is at the heart of social justice. We can’t pursue one by sacrificing the other,” Fr. Pavone said.
Earlier this week, Priests for Life called upon all clergy and religious to visit the local offices of their US Representatives, and to echo to them the bishops’ call to reject the bill in its present form. In the light of this letter from women religious, Priests for Life will redouble its efforts to bring the voices of millions of Catholics to this debate in the days ahead.
- Fr. Pavone Urges Congress to Approve the Protect Life Act; Stop Abortion Funding in Health Care
- National Organization of Women Religious Join Bishops in Rejecting Senate Health Care Bill
- Fr. Pavone Mobilizes Clergy to Oppose Obamacare
- Religious Leaders Urge Senate To Resist Abortion Funding
- President Creates Need to Reject Health Care Bill, Says Fr. Pavone