BALTIMORE, MD — Father Frank Pavone, National Director of Priests for Life, commented on the election of New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan as president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and Archbishop Joseph Kurtz as vice-president.
“Priests for Life congratulates Archbishop Dolan and Archbishop Kurtz on their new responsibilities. Those responsibilities constitute a special form of service to their brothers and sisters.
“It is important for the faithful to understand that the role of President of the USCCB is not to be ‘the leader of Catholics in the United States.’ Each diocese has its own bishop, and that bishop reports to the Pope. The local bishop is the leader of Catholics in his diocese. The USCCB is a tool that assists collaboration, sharing, and certain joint activities.
“Both Archbishop Dolan and Archbishop Kurtz have been unequivocal in their defense of the unborn, which for our ministry is the primary focus. They have welcomed and encouraged the work of Priests for Life, and for that we are grateful.”
- Fr. Pavone Mourns Passing of Archbishop Pietro Sambi, Praising his Assistance to Priests for Life
- Priests for Life Leaders to be in Vanguard of March for Life
- Bishop Roger Gries Urges: “Please Continue to Support Priests for Life”
- Priests for Life offers congratulations, pledges assistance
- Priests for Life vs. HHS Lawsuit: Full Speed Ahead