What Priests Can Do
To Stop Abortion
1. Offer Masses for Pro-life intentions. This can either be a
"special event" or a regularly scheduled Mass, the intention of which
relates to pro-life.
Establish a pro-life prayer group in the parish, dedicated specifically
to prayers and teachings on the value of human life.
3. Offer Pro-life holy hours,
Priests for Life provides some
4. Promote the Be Not Afraid Family Holy Hours. For information,
contact the Apostolate for Family Consecration, 3375 County Rd.36
Bloomingdale, OH 43910 Phone: 1-800-77-FAMILY
5. Preach frequently on abortion, both by entire homilies on the
topic and by reference to it in other homilies.
6. Include mention of abortion in the
General Intercessions at Mass.
7. Place inserts into the bulletin about pro-life. These can be
full-page inserts that can be given to the bulletin company in advance,
or short (1-3 line) messages. These are available from Priests for Life.
You can order a free monthly pro-life insert for your bulletin, which
will be sent to you camera-ready. Call American Life League at
540-659-4171 and ask for the
"Pro-life Bulletin Board."
8. Present pro-life topics in
Bible Study, RCIA, meetings for
school parents, marriage preparation, instructions for sponsors, etc.
9. Invite pro-life speakers to make presentations at meetings
which people are required to attend, such as those for the parents of
school or CCD children.
10. Have special educational evenings with
speakers and/or videos.
Have a "Life Mission" with a guest speaker/workshops for several days.
12. Use the parish bookrack to make good
pro-life literature and
13. Use parish bulletin boards inside and outside the Church to
convey a pro-life message. Set up a permanent pro-life sign on the
14. Make pro-life resources (Precious Feet Pins, Bumper stickers
and Buttons, Pro-life Bank checks, etc.) available to the parishioners.
You can get order information from Priests for Life (888-PFL-3448 or
15. Add the words "born and pre-born" to the Pledge of Allegiance
when it is recited in the schools and at other functions.
16. Sponsor a pro-life essay/poster contest among the children of
the school and CCD programs. Display winning posters in the school or in
the Church vestibule, and print winning essays in the bulletin.
17. Have readily available at all times concrete information
about alternatives to abortion. Place one of more of these numbers on
the cover of your parish bulletin as a standard item. Get this
information to women in need, to local doctors, and to the secular
press. Some of the national hotlines ready to help women anywhere in the