Abortion runs counter to most Christian beliefs. Even those denominations that support the right of a woman to choose a legal abortion, believe that abortion is most-often not the right choice.
Here are five pro-life arguments made by Christians:
1. Life does not belong to us. It belongs to God: Catholic Christians and others emphasize that all life is sacred. The Catholic Church clearly argues against abortion –— and the death penalty — by recognizing that only God has the right to create life and to end it.
The Catholic News Agency reports, "Human life is sacred because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains forever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being."
2. Human life is special, because humans are made in the image of God: According to Priests for Life, the belief that the image of God is in humans is a reason to oppose abortion.
"We are not just a bunch of cells randomly thrown together by some impersonal force," says Father Frank Pavone, national director at Priests for Life. "Not only did God make us, but he values us. The Bible tells us of a God who is madly in love with us, so much so that He became one of us an even died for us while we were still offending Him. In the face of all this, can we say that human beings are disposable, like a car that becomes more trouble than it is worth?"
3. The Bible affirms life in the womb: The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children points to the story of John the Baptist and Jesus when they "greet one another whilst still in the wombs of their mothers." This being one of the times scripture affirms the life of a human being before birth. These two humans recognized each other long before they could survive outside the womb.
4. Science backs up life from conception: According to the Family Research Council, scientific evidence is now able to prove what the faithful have been saying all along. Human life begins before birth.
The organization points out that as science understands more about DNA and other human molecules, it is able to prove that the nature of a human is evident in the zygote form of a pregnancy, which happens at the moment when human sperm penetrates the egg.
The group says, "The scientific evidence is quite plain: at the moment of fusion of human sperm and egg, a new entity comes into existence which is distinctly human, alive, and an individual organism — a living, and fully human, being."
5. The Bible teaches that children are a blessing: Priests for Life argues, "love always overflows into life." The group points out that God is always at work in the bringing forth of life, and it is sinful to interrupt God's work. Parents are merely cooperators with God in this work, they are not the ones in charge.