WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Women from the Silent No More Awareness Campaign will gather at Independence Avenue and Third Street SW here at 10 a.m. Saturday to share the message that abortion hurts women.
“It’s ironic that the Women’s March on Washington aims to speak for all women, when half of those killed in abortion are baby girls,” said Janet Morana, co-founder of the Campaign and executive director of Priests for Life. “We also need to stop treating the women killed or injured in abortion as collateral damage.”
Campaign co-founder Georgette Forney, president of Anglicans for Life, said the Women’s March “has embraced a pro-abortion stance, betraying its mission of non-violence, by letting Planned Parenthood and NARAL serve as partners for the event. Therefore, the Silent No More Awareness Campaign has decided that our counter-witness also needs to be present. We do not want people to think all women embrace abortion so we will stand on the sidewalk sharing the truth, ready to offer ministry and help to the hurting.”
Holding signs that say “I Regret My Abortion,” the women will provide a powerful visual contrast to the pro-abortion marchers, as they did in 2004 at the March for Women’s Lives during President George W. Bush’s re-election campaign.
Noting that Saturday’s march is a protest primarily of the election of Donald Trump, Mrs. Morana said, “President-elect Trump is pro-life, has promised to nominate pro-life justices and judges to the Supreme Court and the federal bench, has vowed to defund Planned Parenthood and protect babies in the womb past 20 weeks. We will not march against him.”
Mrs. Forney added: “Many of those participating in the March for Women’s Lives need to see the Campaign’s message and learn that there is help and healing for any one struggling with their abortion experience.”
The Campaign, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year, has been present at the March for Life every year since 2003. Dozens of women and men who regret their abortion experiences tell their stories in front of the U.S. Supreme Court building, where Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton were decided in 1973.
The Campaign began Nov. 11, 2002. As of January 2017, the Silent No More Awareness Campaign has held 1,803 Gatherings in 17 countries and all 50 states, with 6,270 women and men sharing their abortion testimonies. Testimonies have also been shared at 136 high schools and universities in the last seven years, 11 in 2016 alone.
There are 2,506 testimonies posted on the Campaign website, with 421 that are shared via video! Currently there are 17,611 people registered with the Campaign, representing 77 countries.
People who are not ready to join the Campaign, are invited to register their regret. So far, 5,361 women and 625 men have said they regret their abortion or lost fatherhood. Also, 648 women and men have posted memorials to their children.
The Silent No More Awareness Campaign is a joint project of Anglicans for Life and Priests for Life. For more information, please visit our website: www.SilentNoMoreAwareness.org