Urge U.S. Senators to Oppose H.R. 1/S.1
March 8, 2021
I have sent out a previous alert opposing “HR 1,” a dangerous bill that would radically change election law for the worse.
Now, the Democrats have passed it in the House (the vote on March 3 was 220-210), so we have to oppose it in the Senate.
The Democrat Party, more interested in power than in governing, wants to ensure that that Republicans never again take control of the House and Senate. H.R. 1, deceptively called the “For the People Act” (but more properly deserving the title “For the Politicians”) would negate many state election laws and give the federal government near total control of the electoral process.
Here are a few of the things that would happen under the bill:
- It would eliminate state voter ID laws and allow people to vote by merely signing a statement in which they claim they are who they say they are.
- It would increase mail-in voting across the country.
- It would force states to implement same-day voter registration and absentee ballots for any reason or no reason at all.
- It would allow “ballot harvesting,” meaning that a total stranger would be able to collect ballots from groups of people to deliver them to the polls. Harvesters with a stake in the election could then fail to deliver ballots marked for the opposition.
- It would keep states from maintaining the accuracy of their voter files.
- It would expand online voter registration and election-day registration, hence eliminating the opportunity for rigorous verification.
- Election officials would be prevented from checking the eligibility and qualifications of voters and would be unable to remove ineligible voters.
- It would expand government regulation of political speech, restricting what groups can say not only about “candidates” but by elected officials.
- It would lead to new requirements for certain groups to publicly disclose their donors if they engage in speech that criticizes elected officials.
- It would make the Federal Election Commission a partisan body by changing the current requirement that it have three members from each party, and reducing the members to five, so that the party of the President would control it. This commission would then be able to apply partisan bias to election policies and enforcement.
- States would be required to restore the ability of felons to vote the moment they are out of prison.
- Absentee ballots would be counted that were received up to 10 days after Election Day.
There are many more potentially catastrophic provisions in this 800-page bill. The Democrat-controlled House passed the bill last year but it died there because Republicans controlled the Senate. This year, as you know, the Senate is evenly split between Democrats and Republicans, with Kamala Harris able to cast the tie-breaking vote.
That’s why it’s important to get in touch with both of your senators, no matter if they are Republicans or Democrats, to make sure they understand you expect them to vote against this democracy-killing bill.
When you click here, you will find out how to contact your senators and what to say once you do.
Please act today, and please pass along this email to as many others you know who may be interested.
Thank you for being part of the Priests for Life Family!
Fr. Frank Pavone
National Director, Priests for Life
This is the type of action that Priests for Life can take nationwide as we mobilize our movement. To help make it possible for Priests for Life to conduct campaigns such as this one, please click here and be as generous as you can.