The national leaders of the pro-life movement are grateful for President Trump’s constant support for the unborn and for those who work on their behalf. In our leadership meetings over the course of the past year, we have discussed the specific accomplishments of the Administration and decided to put together this letter expressing our gratitude and outlining just some of the many things he and his administration have done for our cause. The leaders of the national and state groups who have signed this letter represent many other leaders as well, and tens of millions of other pro-life advocates who are applauding these accomplishments and whose daily work is building upon them.
September 1, 2020
President Donald J. Trump
The White House
Office of the President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20500
Dear President Trump,
We the undersigned organizations, representing millions of Americans, wish to thank you for all you have done to protect the dignity of human life.
As a candidate, on January 23, 2016, you stated, “Let me be clear – I am pro-life.” As President, you have lived up to that statement in standing up for women and the unborn:
- Reinstated the Mexico City Policy to end Federal funding of foreign non-governmental organizations providing family planning abroad if they perform or actively promote abortion as a method of family planning.
- Expanded that policy to more than $8 billion in global health assistance provided by all Federal departments and agencies.
- Placed pro-life personnel throughout your Administration, including in key roles.
- Nominated some 230 Federal judges confirmed by the Senate who will uphold the United States Constitution, including two Associate Justices of the Supreme Court.
- Wrote Statements of Administration Policy in support of the following pro-life bills:
- No-Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2019.
- Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
- Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
- Published a regulation to prevent the commingling of taxpayer dollars funding the Title X family planning program with projects that perform, promote, or refer for abortion as a method of family planning while allowing Title X family planning grantees to exclude, as subrecipients, organizations that perform or promote abortions. As a result, your Administration funded 16 new organizations as Title X grantees, including State health departments, faith-based organizations, and several community health centers and prevented further subsidizing of the billion dollar abortion industry.
- Allowed State Medicaid directors more flexibility to set qualification standards for Medicaid providers, including requirements that may exclude abortion providers from the Medicaid program.
- Ended HHS funding for new medical research using human fetal tissue obtained from elective abortions, unless authorized by an ethics advisory board. This ends government experimentation with aborted children and increases human subjects protection for any future research.
- Reissued guidance, Interaction of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act of 2002, that hospitals may be required to screen, stabilize, and treat or transfer “every infant who is born alive, at any stage of development” including those born alive after abortions.
- Issued guidance to clarify that a hardship exemption from the Obamacare individual mandate is available if all affordable plans offered through the Federal exchanges in an individual’s area include abortion coverage, contrary to one’s beliefs.
- Issued final rules protecting religious orders, pro-life organizations, and other organizations and individuals that have religious or moral objections to providing coverage for abortifacients in their health insurance plans.
- Proposed regulations on Obamacare to protect life and conscience, including:
- Requiring Obamacare insurers to issue separate invoices for insurance coverage of abortions.
- Requiring Obamacare insurers with plans covering abortions to offer at least one identical plan in the same geographic area that does not cover abortions. (The rule would not apply in States with mandated abortion coverage.)
- Reversing Obama Administration’s efforts to force recipients of certain Federal funding to provide or pay for abortions.
- Provided guidance to Federal departments and agencies on Federal Law Protections for Religious Liberty.
- Issued clarifications on separate payments for abortion in the health care exchanges.
- Created the Conscience and Religious Freedom Division within the HHS Office for Civil Rights, which:
- Issued a final rule to strengthen enforcement of Federal laws protecting the conscience rights of healthcare workers and entities; and enforced Federal laws protecting conscience rights against laws adopted by the States of California and Hawaii that had required pro-life pregnancy resource centers to refer clients for abortions.
- Opposed efforts at the United Nations to make abortion an international human right.
- Advocated for the protection of women and children, born and unborn, as a global health priority, including by building a coalition of countries representing over one billion inhabitants.
- Issued a 2018–2022 Strategic Plan that recognizes a core component of HHS’s mission: to serve and protect all Americans “at every stage of life, from conception” and to advance global health security through respect for “the inherent dignity of persons from conception to natural death.”
As we move forward we look forward to further building a culture of life together!
Father Frank Pavone
National Director, Priests for Life
President, Susan B. Anthony List
Co-founder Silent No More Campaign
Executive Director, Priests For Life
President, National Right to Life
Civil Rights for the Unborn
March for Life Education and Defense Fund
Liberty Counsel Action
And Then There Were None
Stand True Pro-life Outreach
Youth Outreach Director, Priests for Life
President American Values
One More Soul
Bethany & Ryan Bomberger
Cofounders, The Radiance Foundation
Human Life Alliance
Father Shenan J. Boquet
President Human Life International
John J. Jakubczyk, Esq.
Southwest Life and Law Center - Arizona
Sanctity of Life Foundation
Right to Life of Michigan
Life Issues Institute
Family PAC Federal
Monica Migliorino Miller, Ph.D.
Citizens for a Pro-life Society
CEO and President, 40 Days for Life
Dr. Pat Castle
President LIFE Runners
Ann "Lauren" Morris
National Life Chain
Mike Chupp MD, FACS, FCS(ECSA)
Christian Medical Association
Fr. Fidelis Moscinski, CFR
Franciscan Friars of the Renewal
Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation, Inc.
Penny Young Nance
CEO and President
Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee
Children First Foundation
Rev. Dean Nelson
Human Coalition Action
Louisiana Right to Life
President, Operation Rescue
Co-Founder, Center for Medical Progress
National Life Center
C. Preston Noell III
Tradition, Family, Property, Inc.
James Nolan, Esq.
Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust
VP of Legal Services
National Institute of Family and Life Advocates (NIFLA)
Rev. Arnold M. Culbreath
Director of Ministry Engagement
Douglass Leadership Institute
David N. O’Steen, Ph.D.
National Right to Life
Gregg L. Cunningham
Center for Bioethical Reform
Allen E. Parker, Jr.
The Justice Foundation
The Center for Medical Progress
Family Research Council
The Restoration Project
Bill Pincus, MD
North Carolina Right to Life
Conservative Partnership Institute
Georgia Life Alliance
Connie Eller, BSSW
Missouri Blacks For Life
Frederick Douglass Foundation
Michael P. Farris
President, CEO, & General Counsel
Alliance Defending Freedom
Deacon Georgette Forney
Anglicans for Life
President Expectant Mother Care-EMC FrontLine Pregnancy Centers, NYC
Catherine Glenn Foster
President and CEO
Americans United for Life
Fr. Terry Gensemer
CEC For Life
Founder and Director
Parliamentary Network for Critical Issues
Jo Ann Gerling
Coalition on Abortion/Breast Cancer
Pro-life Action Ministries
Founder and CEO
Thomas A. Glessner, J.D.
National Institute of Family & Life Advocates
The Moral Outcry Petition
President Heartbeat International
Roland C. Warren
President & CEO
Colin A Hanna
President, Let Freedom Ring
Wisconsin Right to Life
Students for Life of America
Students for Life Action
Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Margaret H. Hartshorn, Ph.D.
Chairman of the Board
Heartbeat International, Inc.
Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust
Allen County Right to Life, Fort Wayne, IN
Family Institute of Connecticut Action
Family Life Council, Inc. - Wisconsin